One of the finest mountain shops in the country, Neptune Mountaineering based in Boulder, CO, has an excellent opportunity available for a General Manager. For over 45 years, Neptune Mountaineering has been a trusted supplier of exceptional outdoor gear matched up with best advice for all levels of climbers, skiers and adventurers. Our staff is not only knowledgeable but also as passionate about the outdoors as our customers are.
The General Manager is responsible for managing Neptune’s profitable operations – including all aspects the company’s business strategies, organizational needs, staffing levels, achieving sales goals, customer service, visual merchandising, marketing, ecommerce business, community culture and overall store success. This role provides leadership and direction for all store staff while ensuring the growth and profitability of the store. This is a keystone role in continuing the success and solidifying the reputation of this beloved and iconic retail institution.
The duties of the General Manager (broken out by areas of responsibility):
Sales & Marketing
- Develops the annual sales forecast/budget and sets monthly and daily sales goals.
- Ensures sales targets are met and all costs and expenses are within budget; ultimately responsible for the profitability of the company.
- Works with buying team to ensure that inventory levels are appropriate for store’s projected sales goals.
- Provides sales and expense reporting to owners and ensures appropriate flow of key metrics/data regarding sales and marketing initiatives is conveyed.
- Works closely with the buyers to manage the end-of-season mark down strategies to maximize gross margins and inventory turns.
- Designs appropriate processes, training or methods that elevate our retail sales results, the customer experience and fosters employee motivation and engagement.
- Ensures that appropriate and timely marketing activities are executed to promote/support store events such as seasonal sales, anniversary sale, slide shows, etc.
- Communicates effectively with managers, merchandising contractor and floor staff in advance of any store promotion or sale to assure necessary prep is done and that the promotion is successfully executed.
- Work closely with ownership, managers and buyers to monitor and analyze sales trends and suggest actions to respond to opportunities in the market.
- Audit existing systems, processes and procedures and implement continuous improvements to those systems.
- Create policies, procedures and guidelines and oversee their administration and execution.
- Develop operating budgets for owner approval and ensures expenses stay within budget.
- Works closely with sales operation manager to ensure efficient inventory management protocols are in place (e.g., receiving, shipping, tagging, inventory adjustments, consignments, RTVs, damages/defects).
- Responsible for our IT infrastructure; suggests software or IT improvements and manages their implementation.
- Ensure the website E-commerce is functioning smoothly and fulfilling orders in a timely manner.
- Act as the primary administrator for our POS system (Retail Pro) and ensures the system is performing as needed.
- Create opening and closing protocols as well as processes for each business function.
- Utilizes sales data, inventory levels and turns, merchandise reports, margins, revenue etc. to provide insight into where there are successes and where there are opportunities; makes adjustments or improvements based on sound data analysis.
- Communicate assortment needs or inventory issues to the buyers to ensure sales potential is maximized and our customer’s needs are met.
- Ensure that the Visual Merchandiser and the Buyers are coordinating on any new merchandising strategies and that seasonal floor set changes are planned for and carried out in a smooth and timely manner.
- Responsible for hiring, training, reviewing and performance management of all staff.
- Oversee all staff members and ensure training and performance are meeting expectations; lead and mentor store managers and buyers so they achieve their own leadership potential and learn new skills.
- Review and manage training protocols to ensure our staff have the tools they need to be successful.
- Ensure floor staff has on-going product knowledge as well as sales and customer service training
- Makes sure that each team member is given feedback at least annually regarding their job performance and when appropriate is given an individual development plan.
- Implements employee recognition programs to bolster staff retention
- Ensure store has adequate supplies for its day-to-day functions (cash register tape, price labels, shopping bags, shipping tape, etc.).
- Resolve maintenance issues.
- Responsible for store cleanliness and stock room organization.
- Propose physical modifications to store, casework, and fixture designs that will increase operational efficiency.
Inventory Control/Loss Prevention
- Manage and oversee annual physical inventory and cycle counts.
- Oversee regular inventory counts; monitor and assist with weekly cycle counts and inventory reconciliations.
- Accountable for meeting the company’s shrink goal by developing Loss Prevention standards and conducting Loss Prevention awareness trainings.
- Must have a bachelor’s degree and minimum of 5 years work experience in retail management or a comparable combination of education and experience.
- Proven success in the growth and profitability of a retail business and leadership and development of retail store staff.
- PC proficient. Three years’ experience in Retail Pro or similar POS/Inventory Management System is essential.
- Must possess the ‘retail’ gene – understands the importance of the ‘customer experience’ and how an independent retailer succeeds in this age of online shopping.
- Understands the importance of visual merchandizing and can coach staff in how to maintain Neptune’s visual merchandising standards.
- Ability to lead and communicate effectively in a fast paced, team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated and take initiative. A strong work ethic and follow-through are essential.
- Proven track record of driving retail store productivity and profitability.
- Extraordinary sales and customer service skills and the ability to coach others in these skills.
- Solid organizational skills and time management skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings, holidays and/or weekends.