One of the finest mountain shops in the country, Neptune Mountaineering based in Boulder, CO, has an excellent opportunity available for a Store Manager. For over 45 years, Neptune Mountaineering has been a trusted supplier of exceptional outdoor gear matched up with best advice for all levels of climbers, skiers and adventurers. Our staff is not only knowledgeable but also as passionate about the outdoors as our customers are.
The Store Manager is responsible for managing all aspects of Neptune’s retail operations including sales, store operations, inventory and all duties associated with apparel, footwear, gear sales, café and shop. This position will manage part-time and full-time staff ensuring we are delivering the highest level of customer service which includes training, motivating and mentoring while also being a profitable and enduring business.
Key areas of responsibility
- Personnel Management: Determines staffing needs and works closing with General Manager to recruit for open positions. Interviews, selects and hires qualified candidates to fill openings; responsible for accurate personnel and payroll information and records; creates the staff schedule and ensures that labor costs conform to the budget; ensures all staff members are adequately trained on store procedures and processes; builds and maintains positive employee relations through their leadership and development of an excellent store team; provides on-going specific and immediate coaching and feedback to all staff members; monitors and ensures compliance with company policies; and takes disciplinary action as needed.
- Customer Care, Sales Staff Supervision and Ski Shop Management: Develops staff to exceed customer and ownership expectations while meeting store sales goals; monitor sales activities and productivity; acknowledges and communicates performance to all team members; supervises floor and ski shop coverage and activities, including opening and closing store as scheduled. Sets and monitors ski shop work flow, quality and timeliness and customer satisfaction; ensures safety protocols and certification standards are met; ensures rental department has adequate equipment and protocols in place.
- Operations: is charged with achieving all sales, productivity and operational objectives including control of labor costs and general expense control, loss prevention, and inventory control measures; provides regular reporting on sales targets and labor expenses to ownership
- Sales Revenue & Expense Management: in charge of creating strategies for hitting sales and expense goals; ensures that monthly sales targets are met while staying within payroll expense budgets.
- Merchandising Supervision: partners with the Visual Merchandising contractor on the implementation of merchandising initiatives and maintains standards consistent with Neptune’s merchandising strategies; actively works with buyers regarding merchandising assortment, trends, and needs; ensures that merchandise on the sales floor is being replenished in a timely manner; supervises stock room operations and ensures shipping and receiving standards and inventory integrity are maintained.
- Training and Coaching plans for and conducts new hire training in all relevant processes and procedures; coordinates seasonal training such as product knowledge clinics by outside sales reps as well as conducts internally led sales and customer service training; motivates and trains associates and managers to achieve their full potential; mentors floor managers/supervisors so that they are adequately prepared to manage the sales and ski shop staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate has the following attributes & qualifications:
- Minimum of 3 - 5 years work experience in Outdoor Retail Management.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications and experience in Retail Pro or similar POS/Inventory Management System is preferred.
- Ability to lead effectively in a fast paced, team environment.
- Motivated self-starter with ability to delegate and multi-task.
- Extraordinary sales and customer service skills and the ability to coach others in these skills.
- Solid organizational skills and time management skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings, holidays and/or weekends.
Salary is commensurate with experience and is competitive. Benefits include a generous health benefits package, 401K and PTO.
If you are interested in this position please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include why you want to be a part of the Neptune Team.