Friends are the most iconic protection ever made. Throughout their 38 year tenure, although the construction has changed, their essence remains the same. At the heart of each iteration has been the definitive 13.75 cam angle; described, refined and developed by Wild Country and proven in thousands of miles of cracks climbed since 1977!
This new Friend is no different, built with a twin axle it remains a Friend. At its core our 13.75 constant cam angle provides the axis around which future climbers will place their trust. Robust and reliable this Friend combines classic features and significant additions to create an intriguing mix of old and new.
Externally, stylish with significant design flourishes mean the eye is drawn to any number of clever upgrades:
- Hollow axles (Patent Pending) are stiffer for less weight
- Wide, skimmed lobes grip better yet are kinder on the rock
- New 12mm dyneema is agile and easily extended, saving time and the weight of having to use a quickdraw on each
- Internals are based on classic Wild Country foundations: our legendary holding power and the consistency of overlap between units, whilst the twin axle has allowed us to increase the range per unit.
Weight: 1 lb
Camming Angle: 13.75
Stem Type: Single
# of Axels: Twin
- Wide machined cam lobes provide more friction in smooth and hard rock and also less damage to soft rock
- Clipable thumb loop, flexible single wire stem & extendable sling round out the package
- Cam springs are graded, balanced and firm for maintaining placement position and to resist "walking"
- Friends have a narrow profile which allows them to fit into tight spots - like pockets and constricting cracks
- Each Friends "footprint" increases with each size so stability is maintained in wide cracks